Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Nalbandian retires from tennis

After 13 years on professional tennis, the former World No.3 David Nalbandian announced his retirement.

Known for his world class two-handed backhand, Nalbandian has struggled in the last years with his body. Four years ago he suffered a serious injury on his hip, needed surgery and took long time until return to ATP Tour. This year the Argentinean needed new surgery on his shoulder, but this time he isn’t able to comeback.

I can play matches, but my shoulder won't let me continue my career. I can't play like that at a [professional] level.” Nalbandian said that to the media in Buenos Aires.

Nalbandian won 11 ATP World Tour titles, his best results were Tennis Masters Cup in 2005, ATP Masters Series Madrid and Paris both in 2007.


The 31-year old left a final message thanking everything tennis gave him: “"It's tough because I have to announce my retirement from the sport that gave me so much. I'm very grateful."

No comments:

Post a Comment